INDICATORS OF UNIVERSITY-INDUSTRY CO-OPERATION
Definition: University-Industry cooperation (UIC) involves two or more parties willingly working together for mutual benefit.Such relationships may be short or long term and may involve one or more projects/areas of activity relevant to the parties involved.The project/case must therefore clearly define the nature and scope of the University-Enterprise cooperation involved as well as the role of and benefit to all the cooperating parties and any other relevant stakeholders.The provision of a service by one party for the other solely for financial remuneration (e.g. consultancy contract) is not considered to be cooperation in the RUISNET sense of the meaning.
Indicators that are relevant to and should be considered in describing the nature and scope of the UIC criterion are listed below.
Scope and Dimension
Scope, interest areas
- business or industry sectors (SIC) involved in the project?
- project involves:
- physical development?
- setting up a new company, centre or institution?
- product/process design and innovation?
- support for businesses and sectors?
- training/labour market support?
- community and social support?
- environment and infrastructure?
- strategic research, statistics and assessment?
- general information sharing?
- education/academic/research institutions involved in the project?
- government, agency or associative organisations involved in the project?
- no. of months and years of project funding / commitment?
- timescale of project key performance and impact measures?
Diversity of activities:
- activities in enterprise / R&D / innovation?
- activities in training and labour market initiatives?
- activities in SMEs and business support?
- project involves an informal network or association?
- project involves a formalised partnership / funding agreement?
- project involves a joint-venture company or service?
Targets of interest area
- project has defined objectives and target beneficiaries / impact measures?
Target Integration at interest area
- project involves common target beneficiaries recognised by business, academic/research and public/government partner organisations?
Target Coherence of the project proposal (?)
Diversity: University-Industry–Government (Administration)
- % of promoting organisations from academic/research, business, and public/government sectors?
- % of funding/income from academic/research, business and public/government sources?
Level and territorial promoter’s environment
- Country, NUTS1, NUTS2 and/or NUTS 3 areas covered?
- geographic area of eligibility of project (sq km, hectares)?
Promoters Coherence with regard to the project
- no. of project meetings and events between academic/research, business and public/government promoters?
- no. of project research/innovation publications jointly supported by academic/research, business and public/government partners?
Diversity: University-Industry-Government (Administration)
- % of participating organisations from academic/research, business, and public/government sectors?
Actors Level: Teachers, businessmen, technicians, officials etc.
- no. of business (and SMEs) representatives participating?
- no. of teachers, academics or research professionals participating?
- no. of public government or agency officials participating?
Actors Coherence with regard to the project (?)
Level of formalisation
- no. of project members/organisations signed up to an informal network or association?
- no. of project members/organisations involved in a formalised partnership / funding agreement?
- no. of project members/organisations involved in a joint-venture company or service?
- no. of project agreed business plans and financial projections?
Level of organisation and implication of the agents
- no. of project members/organisations incurring resource or cost liabilities in the project?
- no. of project members/organisations making funding pledges to the project?
- no. of project members/organisations making capital investments in the project?
- no. of project members/organisations gaining income benefits from the project?
System of financing - financial accountable body is:
- a business project partner or business association?
- an academic/research centre?
- a public/government body?
- a project joint-venture limited/non-profit company?
Target Coherence of the commitments (?)
Characteristics: whether beneficiaries are comprised from one or more of the following group special, social groups etc:
- small and medium sized enterprises (SMES <250 staff)?
- firms/workforce or population in disadvantaged region/area (e.g. with GDP per Capita of 75% or less of EU average)?
Scope: number, amount etc
- % of total workforce of business(es) involved that are employed in SMEs?
- % of workforce/people involved that live in disadvantaged regions/areas ?
- % gender and ethnicity breakdown of owners/boards of participating businesses (compared with regional/national average)?
- % gender and ethnicity breakdown of workforce of participating businesses (compared with regional/national average)?
- % gender and ethnicity breakdown of trainees etc participating (compared with regional/national average)?